The robots are coming - to share your sidewalk- to deliver you the food and stuff- whenever you want. Promising you to be top-heeled and do everything an autonomous aerial drone would probably do.
Given their size, they are small and compact, rolling on six wheels down the sidewalks at about four miles per hour (the same speed of a pedestrian), can carry the equivalent of two grocery bags (around 10 kgs) and walk their way up to 5 kms from a retail outlet.
What's more? These robots will tackle all kinds of problems that delivery drones completely avoid. These challenges include finding their way around roads and sidewalks, navigating next to vehicles and around pedestrians, and interacting more directly with humans. Moreover, the robot can detect traffic light signals accurately to know when to cross the roads safely. Have a look:
Launched by two Skype co-founders, Ahti Heinla (who serves as CEO and CTO) and Janus Friis, Starship Technologies, their delivery robot got its first order through DoorDash app. How does the algorithm work, exactly?
- You place an order fom one of the participating restaurants.
- You as a Diner receive a text message asking if you are willing to accept the delivery from the delivery person or a robot? (based upon the delivery radius and other factors)
- When the robot is close to the location, the diner will recieve a text message with a code to unlock the cargo bin and voila!
- Well, Doordash takes robots not as a replacement but as a complement to its human deliverers. It has overhauled the on-demand's business accomplishments of last mile deliveries. And unlike self driving cars, Starship robots would not cause any harm. They’re excellent at dynamically avoiding obstacles given enough time and adequate sensor data.
- Starship estimates that its robotic deliveries will cost 10 to 15 times less than current last-mile delivery alternatives.
- During delivery, shoppers can track the robot’s location in real time through a mobile app.
- And on its arrival only the app holder/secured code can unlock the cargo.
Now you might be wondering, what if anyone try to steal from the Delivery Robot? Look what happened when they dared to do so:
The traditional practices of On-demand delivery by delivery persons soon has to rest in peace. The modern customers will now grace the use of delivery robots for gratifying their instant needs. For leveraging the maximum trend of On-demand model in your existing layers of business, get build an On-demand Delivery App , and be the forefront runner.
Codiant Software Technologies
Codiant is a pioneering Mobile app development and Custom Web Product Development Company that offers cutting-edge customized iPhone, iPad and Android app development services, UI/UX Development, Enterprise Mobility Solutions, and Application Maintenance Services across various platforms.