Connect CASE STUDY
SOCIAL NETWORKING APP
FOR AUTISM AFFECTED PEOPLE
Design, Website, & iOS
PHP, Yii 1.0, MySQL, Jquery, HTML5, BootStrap, JS
Autism Connect is a social networking site for people with autism and their families. It is a safe space that allows users to connect with like-minded people, share their experiences and find local service providers. People here can share their story, post status, send message to other member, can add member to their circle, read blog, ask questions, can create event and attend events.
Idea Visualization, Design Research & Strategy, Business Development & Innovation, UX Design, Prototyping, User Interface Design, Technology and Platforms Selection, Research Planning, Conceptualization.
Add Family Member
My Circle (people)
My Circle (providers)
Attending Events List
Question List Filter Option
Ask a Question
My Reply on Questions
PROJECT SCOPE STATEMENT
To build a space online, separate from social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, where people affected by autism can share their lives, stories, hopes, questions, thoughts and advice. There will be a place that empowers people with the tools to connect to others near them, and create their own, smaller, sustainable networks of support in their local area.
Design, develop and deliver a new Web 2.0 website and app which will allow members to share their stories, questions and other information regarding autism and service provider can help them by providing support.
There should be two levels of site user:
- 01. Member : Members should have access to all site tools except those clearly outlined as for administrators or the community manager. There must be capacity for up to 10,000 members.
- 02. Administrator : Admin will be able to remove question responses, ban or block users, hide/remove inappropriate content. They should receive “flagged” notifications in their feeds. There should be capacity for up to 30 of these users.
Users can set privacy where they can manage who can see their posts, send message, can add in circle or not, view story.
Post social network analysis, a round of quick concept iterations was carried out. The team brainstormed and came up with two user roles that are for Members and Administrators. Both of these user roles were carried forward for validation and was pressure tested to identify its flexibility, ease and complexity.
The Codiant front-end, back-end and design team partnered closely with the client to bring the app and web to market. The back-end team built a solution which included following functionality:
- Find Parents : From here members can search for people nearby them or similar to them.
- Directory : This page lists the specialists, ranging from support groups to autism-friendly dentists, who understand autism.
- Search : Members can search for providers/services by Keyword, provider or business, Location.
- For advance search, the search criteria was kept as:
- Sort By (best match, most recommendations, alphabetical, most teams)
- Distance (10, 25, 50, 75 or 100 miles)
- Event/ calendar : Member should be able to create events and post them to a calendar.
- Updates : This tab will include space where Member can Post, attach links and photos.
- Story : This is a free space where they can tell people about themselves and their lives.
- Family : Member can add: Their Childs or other family member who has autism, and that person’s age and diagnosis from dropdown menu or checkbox.
- Q+A : Member can view the Questions asked by themselves and the answer which they got or can search, post and answer the questions.
- Privacy Settings : Users can set the post access to Private / Friends only so that any anonymous user cannot view the post.
Working collaboratively with the Connect founders, the team at Codiant delivered a web app that is pioneering and bringing together autism affected people in the UK and helping them to find great services in their area and share their experiences with each other without any hassles.